Posted by Chemlink in Chemlink Lab, Personal Care Products | 0 comments
Preservatives are essential for cosmetic formulations – they help to ensure harmful microbes are kept at bay – but with consumers demanding greener products and synthetic preservatives coming under more and more scrutiny, how can you reduce concentration levels without affecting protection and efficacy? Clariant’s Velsan SC has the answer!
This powerful and innovative synergistic booster for preservation systems allows you to do just that – preserve more with less. It provides formulators with a natural way to reduce the amount of preservatives that they use in their cosmetic products by boosting preservatives’ ability to penetrate and eliminate microbial cells.
INCI name: Sorbitan Caprylate
Renewable Carbon Index (RCI) of 100%
Comes in a clear, amber-coloured liquid
Recommended usage level of 0.5-2.0% (based on total weight of finished product)
As well as being an effective preservation booster, Velsan SC provides emollient and thickening properties and is gentle on the skin. It is therefore suitable for a range of applications. These are:
- Shower and/or liquid soaps
- Shampoos (Velsan SC’s ability to increase shampoo viscosity, therefore reducing the amount of Sodium Chloride needed, makes it especially suitable for less eye-irritating shampoos such as baby shampoos)
- Wet wipes
- Hair conditioners
- Creams and lotions
- Sun protection
Formulating with Velsan SC can provide a wide range of benefits:
- Its powerful boosting performance means you can use preserve more with less
- It has broad spectrum activity
- It’s based on 100% renewable raw materials with an RCI of 100%
- It provides antimicrobial synergism with aromatic alcohols, organic acids and other actives
- It has emollient and thickening properties
- It’s also moisturising and leaves a rich feel on the skin
- And its approved by COSMOS and Natrue
Formulating with Velsan SC
Clariant’s Velsan SC is an exciting and promising ingredient for formulators looking for a natural way to reduce their products’ preservative load without compromising on protection or performance. To find out whether Velsan SC would be a good fit for your formulations, get in touch with our technical team via the contact form below and we’ll talk you through this novel ingredient in more detail. You can also request samples to try for yourself.